Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Apple Cider

Wow I can't believe it's been this long since my last post. I guess a lot has been happening around here lately...but not much of it was blog worthy:) Blare's been really busy in the field, and hopefully will be done within the next few days. Praise the Lord we've had a such safe and blessed harvest.

Last Saturday it was a rainy day, so we were finally able to make our apple cider. It worked out so well since Brent was home from Purdue for the weekend. Well...we started out with about 14 bushels of apples and after grinding, pressing, straining and squeezing ended up with approx. 22 gallons of cider. I know...you're probably thinking why do you go to that much work when you can buy a gallon at the store? Well, first of all, it tastes 100 times better, second, the time you spend with family makes it 100% worth it and third, we now have apple cider in the freezer to enjoy all winter long!! Here are a few pictures to enjoy...notice Madison isn't in any of the pictures? It was so nice, she slept the whole time we working out in the shop working on it! I really didn't want her to have to be around that sticky mess!!

Washing the apples
Grinding and pressing the apples
Straining, and bottling the cider!

6 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

What an impressive process!

I don't think you're crazy going to all that work...I've heard home-made apple cider is a lot healthier! Looks like fun :)

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of last Tuesday when I was fed cookies and hot apple cider. It was delicious.
Tyler

Janel said...

Tyler...just wondering exactly who "fed" you?!?

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't you wish you knew.

Actually, it was during my four hour outside tree lab class, so nothing too interesting.
But it was still very good.

Tyler

Heidi said...

YUM...I love cider! I think it looks like a lot of fun, so no, I don't think you're crazy.

The Bean's said...

Crazy are the people who buy apple cider at the store! Looks like your family had a great time together :o)